Sunday, June 14, 2009

Weekend in review

We had another busy weekend. Saturday Joe and I dropped the bean off at Mima's house to attend the Bat Mitzvah of a close family friend. It was the first Bat Mitzvah Joe and I had attended and I must say it was such a beautiful, humbling, and really educative experience.

We both felt honored to be in attendance to share in such a special day. As for the honoree, she was amazing, and held herself with more poise than most adults could! The reception was fabulous and *gasp* Joe and I actually had a chance to dance together. We worried Charlie was going to have a meltdown without us (he had skipped a nap) but he was a perfect little angel for Mima. He had a tough time falling asleep, but no throwing up- he saved that for tonight.

We spent most of today in moving and packing mode and that will be the story for the remainder of the week. It's getting a bit more stressful as we are coming down to the wire with the move. I am still in a bit of shock that this weekend was our last at our old house.

Joe has been a bit mopey about it all, reminiscing about how we came home on our wedding night and brought Charlie here straight from the hospital. I'm trying to focus on the fact that we'll always have those memories (along with all the memories of fixing up this house).

Moving is a little scary; I'm amazed at how much I did it as a twenty-something. The one thing I have realized in this packing/transitional phase- I really don't need as much 'stuff' as I thought I did. I'm quite happy with the simplicity of having a couple of bowls, a pot, a pan and one spatula and wooden spoon vs. the gobs upon gobs of kitchen tools I have neatly labeled and taped up in boxes.

I'm making a vow to myself to not get caught up in all the 'stuff' as I unpack. I'm going to give away and donate as many unnecessaries as possible. Because at the end of the day a home isn't about all those little vignettes or tablescapes; however lovely, it's about making memories and filling the walls with laughter and love. And that's what I intend to do :o)

No comments:

 

The Little Bean Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates