Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My little turkey

We made our follow up visit to Charlie's gastroenterologist today. The great news is that Charlie is improving, thank the Lord. I mentioned that Charlie is a tad picky when it comes to solids - he won't eat any fruits and basically only likes green beans and sweet potatoes. She told me that I could give him some turkey and chicken for added protein, but not the jarred stuff that resembles cat food. She told me to go to the deli and get thinly sliced turkey and give that to him in tiny pieces. The verdict- my bean is a carnivore! He absolutely loved it :o)


Update: I realized roughly an hour after I fed Charlie one tiny, wafer thin slice of turkey that it was the honey coated variety that I purchased. For those that may not know- honey contains botulism spores that the adult intestinal system can combat, but infants are susceptible and shouldn't have honey until 1 year of age, when their digestive system is more mature.

I called the manufacturer to make sure that honey was an actual ingredient. It was, so I called up my pedi and they told me not to worry at all, that I didn't need to look at Charlie as a walking time bomb, ha,ha. He is perfectly fine but now Mama has about a pound of finely shredded turkey she needs to eat all by herself...and I need to run out and buy the plain old version for the bean. Poor Charlie if he only knew I nearly poisoned him-the joys of being a first-time mommy...

3 comments:

Danse said...

He's so cute! I'm glad he's improving. It sounds like he has the eating habits of my husband - no fruit and only (some) green veggies. Supposedly fruit makes him gag and always has...

Brooke said...

Aw, I'm sure he would understand!

sept said...

did he feed himself? that's awesome that you're getting some relief on the food front!

btw, danse, you're perty. i don't think i've ever seen your face. :)

 

The Little Bean Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates